Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Memories of The Steel City (Part 1)

I traveled to Pittsburgh, PA last weekend to attend the reunion of my high school class. Here are some general impressions:

-Flying commerically is way less comfortable than taking the cross town bus out to the Pitt campus. There is just no escaping being packed like a sardine!

-There always is a sense of familiarity about Pittsburgh. After all these years of living in California, I can still find my way to familiar haunts without a road map.

-Western PA is way greener than California.

-It was so enjoyable to see people that I have known for such a long time! Reminiscing about grade school and our time in high school was fun but even better was to hear stories about families, careers, children and grandchildren.

-The impromptu preunion get togethers were almost as much fun as the main event.

-That we are old enough to be grandparents is hard to wrap my head around. Time flies!

-The disappointing part of the get together was that our time together was too short to chat with everyone and hear what life has brought them. I worked about a one minute summary of the last 36 years of my life and that was a challenge.

-I am the luckiest guy in the world to have Linda as my wife who patiently traveled with me to renew friendships and make new ones. She is simply the greatest thing in my life and a wonderful photographer! She gets credit for all the great shots.

2010 Canevin 36 Yr Reunion - Picasa Web
Albums

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Part of the magic of this reunion was people who were willing to travel LONG distances to attend, and renew friendships. This is one of the reasons WAYNE brought so much to the reunion! Linda was awesome and very much "at ease" with our class. On behalf of your friends, THANK YOU for making the effort to fly 2800 miles to attend!